Complete Midwifery Care
Complete Midwifery Care means that we provide continuous and compassionate care through your pregnancy, birth, postpartum, breastfeeding, and beyond. Informed choice and family-centered care are at the heart of all our interactions with you. We are available for our clients 24/7 by phone for urgent concerns, and available by phone or email during business hours for any concerns, throughout all of pregnancy and postpartum.
- Initial interview to answer your questions about midwifery care and Nova Midwifery Services
- Prenatal visits in our Danville, Oakland, or Livermore locations on a schedule that is the standard in the local obstetric and midwifery communities, with extra visits as needed for any concerns, and a home visit in your third trimester
- Support, referrals, and information in response to your physical and emotional experience of pregnancy
- Information about optimizing the health of you and your baby through nutrition, rest, and stress reduction
- Discussion of the full range of tests and treatments available in standard obstetric care. In our care, we present information about pros and cons of these, and you choose which suit you and your health needs.
- Blood draws in our offices for any lab work that you choose; referrals for other chosen services such as ultrasound
Your baby's birth:
- Attendance at your birth from the start of active labor through the immediate postpartum, including an assisting midwife for the delivery
- Careful and respectful monitoring of both mom and baby's well-being
- Waterbirth is an option that we support and are experienced in facilitating. We give referrals for tub rentals and encourage all our clients to have a tub available to them during labor for comfort.
- Available newborn procedures are discussed in advance and your choices are verified with you at the time of birth
- Breastfeeding support, including help with positioning, latch, and common initial challenges. Mason is also an IBCLC, trained in managing challenges in the breastfeeding relationship, start to finish!
- Postpartum visits in your home at approximately 24 hours and as needed through the first two weeks, with an average of 3-4 visits in that time span.
- Postpartum visits in one of our offices at 2, 4, and 6 weeks postpartum.
- Continued support through parenthood: referrals, information, and social visits as desired by our clients
Postpartum Midwifery Care
Postpartum care is one of the most beautiful parts of midwifery care. Visits for the first week in your home, that concentrate on both you and the baby, saving you from the need to leave your home or go to two different practitioners for the care of your new family unit. We support you to heal your body, forge a beautiful and sustainable breastfeeding relationship, and find a new normal with your baby in your life. Furthermore, you have access to your midwives by phone for the entire 6 week postpartum time period for any questions or concerns. For families who do not have interest or the ability to have an out of hospital birth, the experience of postpartum care is doubly important and powerful. We will soon be offering a postpartum care package specific to these families. Please email us if you would like to hear more about this evolving offering at firstname.lastname@example.org.